The A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum, the official Mineral Museum of Michigan, is home to its own nationally and internationally recognized mineral collection and to the University of Michigan mineral collection, co-owned by the museum and the University of Michigan. Together, these two collections of approximately 50,000 mineral specimens began assembly in the 1838. The collections are housed on the campus of Michigan Technological University.
The A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum has the largest public display of minerals from the Great Lakes Region and is the official Mineral Museum of Michigan. The world's best collection of Michigan minerals and minerals from around the world are part of its collection and exhibits. The University of Michigan mineral collection is held by the museum under the Michigan Mineral Alliance. The world-record holding 17-ton native copper slab is on exhibit in the Copper Pavilion.